Friday, May 9, 2014

More Vin du Jour

I may have said this last time, but it has been a very stressful week. I really dislike giving final, high-stakes exams. I just don't think a large part of assessment should ride on one test. The rules say we have to have an exam, though, so I give exams that aren't a huge part of the grade for students. You would think this would be less stressful, but it isn't, because everything has to be completed in a very short time, especially for graduating seniors. So lots and lots of anxiety on all sides this week. Thank goodness it's Friday, and the last exam is over.

Working on my little scrap project kept me sane this week, but I did not finish the quilt completely. I did finish the center, though! Here it is:



Not bad for a bag of scraps! These blocks are really big. This measures about 37 by 37 already. One reason I didn't finish it is that I haven't got any large pieces left for a border. I kind of like it without a border at all, but I do think a border will set off the stars in the center. So I need to make a piano key border to use up the small pieces I have left. That would be a good use of the fabric and a nice finish, I think. I have just enough of the yellow to make either a small inner border or a binding. Not sure which one is the best use of the yellow. I'm thinking the small border, but I might change my mind.

As I said last time, this pattern (found HERE with tons of other free patterns) looks complicated but really isn't. Big pieces and easy shapes, even though it doesn't look like it in the finished product. One thing I found really useful is to cut a pattern for the circles out of freezer paper and iron it onto the pieced stars before trimming them into a circle. This works a lot better than trying to draw or trace the circle and then cut it out. Less chance of scissors slipping. Also, when putting the frames on the circle, stitch with the circle on top. That way the feed dogs can ease the frames just a tiny bit, just enough so that everything fits right. (If you want some more tips on the pattern, check out the earlier post. It really is a good pattern and not very difficult.)

I really do love these fabrics, and I'm really glad I saved them (for several years!) for just the right project. I also think this was the right pattern to finally use them in. But can I complain one more time about the waste? LOTS of waste in this pattern! Good thing I use white scraps all the time!

Anyway, that's where I am right now. I'll be grading (and grading. . .) this weekend, so not a lot of time to sew. I don't really sew much on the weekends, anyway, because there's a lot to do, and it's really the only time the hubster and I have together. Weird, I know. If I get a chance, though, I will be cutting my way through this:


This is a bin of small scraps just waiting to be cut into 1 1/2 and 2 inch squares. I should be able to find some time for that, right?

Everybody have a great weekend! Happy Mother's Day to all the moms out there, especially the new moms. You're all doing a great job, and don't let anybody tell you different!

Linking to Sarah and Amanda again. Go check out everyone's great projects!

5 comments:

Shauna said...

that is beautiful and no one would ever guess it was made of scraps only!!!

Scooquilt said...

No one is as busy as a teacher in the spring! It will all pass soon, and you can do more on this pretty quilt. Take care.

Sarah Craig said...

Such beautiful blocks! I especially love the colors… Whoop whoop!!

Celine said...

This is gorgeous! Visiting from Whoop Whoop Friday

Shelina (formerly known as Shasta) said...

This quilt is so beautiful - as I was reading your newer posts, I was thinking I would love to make this, but it is way beyond my skill level. I'm glad I kept reading to this post to see that it isn't difficult, and even better, the pattern is free! Thanks - I have downloaded the pattern. Your colors are much better than the original.