Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Tied in knots

Not a lot of time for sewing the last couple of days. After all the rain we've had we had some water in our basement. I hate it when that happens! Plus, we had some spectacular thunder and lightning Monday night and lost power for a little bit. I know some people sew on their treadle machines when that happens, but mostly I just take a nap. We ended up with 3 1/2 inches of rain, so no wonder it got into the basement.

Has anyone experienced the new weather alerts that some carriers send over your cell phone? We never signed up for them, but that night our phones just kept shrieking with severe weather alerts. I turned mine off after a while, but my husband has to keep his on for work, so it just kept going off. It was like our own personal alarm. I understand the need for this, but it was very annoying. Especially when it was interrupting my nap. And then later it just kept going off, even at 2 and 3 in the morning.

Anyway, I did manage to make these:


These are 6-inch blocks. The pattern is traditionally called Arrowhead Puzzle, but I got the pattern from Bonnie Hunter's Quiltmaker column, where she called them Garlic Knots. I've been calling them that ever since. (A link is HERE, but you can't get the pattern without paying for the magazine. Check some block books, because it is a traditional block pattern.) I was half planning to make these for the Rainbow Scrap Challenge, but I lost interest. I had them cut out, though, and it was time to get those pieces off the cutting table. So I guess this was a clutter-clearing exercise.

I also started putting this runner together:


This is a simple runner for the top of the small buffet we have in the dining room.  I won the colorful fabric squares at a guild meeting, and just sewed them into 4 patches (a quilting patch which I now officially dislike) and am assembling them into a runner that will fit the top. Not exciting, but another little quilt for the house.

Once I finish this runner, I will have something like 6 or 7 small projects stacked up to quilt, so it looks like next week I will have to get to that.  One of the pieces is from Thanksgiving, so I think I'm overdue.

Everyone have a great Wednesday. I have yet another meeting, but this one comes with a catered lunch. Yum!

Linking up with WIP Wednesday at Freshly Pieced. I got her book for Mother's Day and am really looking forward to making a few of those quilts! (Book link is for information only; I'm not making any money here.)


No comments: