Wednesday, August 19, 2015

Hello again!

Hi folks!  I am insanely happy to see you all again! We have had a wild ride for the last couple of weeks, including a literal wild ride from Wisconsin to Pennsylvania that included a night in a hotel where they forgot to tell us (and a whole bunch of other folks, too) that they were shutting off the water at 5 am.  Just ponder all that that means for a while.  At least we weren't as bad off as the families with kids!

Here's the other part of the wild ride--we are STILL in a hotel and will likely be until Monday, which is the day classes start.  My first impression of PA has not been really welcoming, I'll tell you.  I've never been asked to prove I'm not a criminal so many times. And, yes, I know your horn works.

Anyway, in the middle of all this chaos I was missing my machine so much that I finally asked if it was okay for me to use the breakfast room at the hotel for a couple of hours.  No one cared, so I whipped up these:


These are friendship stars for the months-long swap I'm doing with friends.  These make me so happy! It felt so great to sit at the machine again. It's like I have my soul back or something.

In addition to these happy stars, I've been working on some hexies and some hand quilting.  I have no pictures, though, so I'll try to get some for next time. 


Just so we have some more pictures, here is a very good thing about Pennsylvania:


This campus has flowers everywhere.  I've been scouting out good quilt-picture-taking places, which is something I didn't have on my last campus.

And here's a gratuitous campus picture:


Very collegiate, no?  This is the view from my side of campus, and every time I see this I think "I'm Batman."  Clearly, I need to settle down and remind myself that I am a very serious scholar.

Anyway, I'm back, and it feels so good! I may have a little trouble posting on a regular schedule for a couple of weeks, because at some point we will move in to a rental, but at least I am working on something other than moving.

Oh, and here's another thing that happened while I was away--this post became the most popular one I've ever had, with more than 3,000 page views for that post alone!  Somebody want to clue me in to what happened there, or did Blogger have a glitch?  Inquiring minds want to know!

Everybody have a great sewing week.  I'm going to try to sneak in some more time in the breakfast room, and something really fun may come out of that. 



Linking to Let's Bee Social, and WIP Wednesday. and Sarah at Confessions of a Fabric Addict.

13 comments:

Kitty said...

Those friendship stars are so cheery! I'm so glad you found a way to sew. I completely know the feeling of having to go without sewing for toooooo long. I hope you get settled soon!

Lucy | Charm About You said...

Beautiful friendship stars!

JanineMarie said...

Well, you sure sound perky considering you're living in a hotel! It must be that breakfast room sewing. Those colors of your friendship stars are scrumptious! I hope your first day of classes go well and that you can get settled into your rental soon. In the meantime, keep sewing!

Mary said...

What a wonderful writing style you have. Very enjoyable blog! And the friendship stars are eye-catching even in the little thumbnail pics posted below Lee's WIP Wednesday blog.

Lorinda said...

I'm glad you got a chance to sew, because those friendship stars are great! I love the orange and aqua combo!

Alison V. said...

Glad to see you're back! I lived in PA for 4 years for graduate school so I totally understand your feelings about the state. :)

Daytona Damsel said...

I really like your color combo. As for sewing in the breakfast room, where there is a will there is a way. :}
Debbie

Aunt TC said...

As a former update New Yorker (Bflo), I can say that people on the east coast use their horns - a lot. I'm the exception in CA. My curiosity got me and I had to check out the other post. My bet is on the cat story. I enjoy your posts!

Bernie Kringel said...

Hey Batman - you're back! I'm so glad.
Hopefully things will settle down soon for you. Transition can be really hard sometimes. No surprise that your sewing machine was with you at the hotel. Maybe you will have an actual sewing room again soon.

That's crazy about the post with all the hits. I don't use Blogger but on Wordpress I can see where the hits to a post are coming from. Sometimes I will get a crazy number from a web crawler. Or maybe you are just getting seriously popular these days! Your readers missed you. :-)

Hang in there Mari. Good luck with the first week of school.

Kristin said...

Sorry that your time in PA is off to a rough start. You can always come back to WI next year! ;). The heat and humidity broke and we are having some gorgeous weather. Good luck at your new job!

Lara B. said...

Hahahah - Well Batman, I hope you settle in a love the new campus very much!
Good for you taking part of the breakfast room and getting some sewing time in Mari! The blocks turned out very cute!
The ins and outs of page views have always left me puzzled, but congratulations none-the-less!

Kate said...

That does sound like a wild ride. Hope you can settled in soon and can get back to a regular routine. When we moved to Oklahoma almost 10 years ago, we lived in a hotel for a month. I thought I'd go nuts without my sewing machine. Thankfully we visited family on the weekend and was able to commandeer my sister's sewing room for a few hours every weekend.

PugMom said...

Welcome to the East Coast! You'll find that people use their horns a lot and their turning signals (in Boston, known as a blinkah) not so much! We're an impatient lot here, you'll get used to us.

Congrats on the new job and hope to hear that it is going well! At least you're a lot closer to me now! Mike's parents live in Delaware, which is next to PA, so perhaps we may get together face to face eventually!

Pugs and kisses,
Nancy